Friday, May 23, 2008

The World Is Her Oyster

In my daughter’s Kindergarten class they have a 'Story Wall'. This is where the teacher posts the students’ latest stories. It’s usually just a one page sheet in which the children answer a question and can draw a picture if they so choose.

This morning the teacher tells me to take a look at the story wall because my daughter’s story this past week was pretty cute.

"Of course it was," I think, but refrain some saying so out loud. Sometimes a mother's pride has to be contained for the sake of tact.

As I am glancing around looking for my daughter’s page, I see that the question is “What do you want to be when you grow up?”

I see all one word and one sentence answers from the children in her class as I read their "stories" (now I am heavily quoting because it is quite a liberal use of the word). In some cases there is only a picture. Most of the answers state that the kids in her class want to be a teacher, or a nurse, or a fire fighter, or something pretty typical for a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds. One child even writes “archatect”, which, even so simply stated and misspelled, is quite impressive.

I finally find my daughter’s story page. Here is her answer, in her own words:
Well first I want to be a kindergarten techer for one year.
Then I want to be an Amarican Idol. Then when its time for me to be off of Amarican Idol I will try to be Presidint.
Her story is also accompanied by three pictures, one for each career.

YOU GO, GIRL.

No comments: