Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Simple Question

Here’s a recap of what happened on my 7 minute trip to dropping off my daughters at their schools this morning.

ME (reaching for a lip balm to use): Anyone want some chapstick?

DAUGHTERS: Me!!

I hand the chapstick to my younger daughter, thinking that I usually give things to my oldest first, so I want to try to be fair.

OLDEST: Hey, don’t roll it up too far, it’ll break.

Youngest daughter silently keeps twisting it up, and still has yet to use it.

OLDEST: You’re gonna break it!

Youngest is still twisting it up.

OLDEST: Mom, she’s rolling it up too high!!

Youngest finally manages to put some on her lips.

OLDEST: Can I have it now!?

Youngest continues to twist the chapstick up and down.

OLDEST: Give it to me!!

Youngest finally hands it over to her sister, without the cap.

OLDEST (after using it): I need the cap.

Youngest continues to hold on to the top.

OLDEST: Mom, she won’t give me the top!!

YOUNGEST: I want to put it back on!!

OLDEST: GIVE IT TO ME!

YOUNGEST: NO!!!

ME (reaching out to the back seat to Oldest): Give me the chapstick.

ME (reaching out to the back seat to Youngest): Give me the top.


"Geez. All this because I offered you two some chapstick" (said in my best guilt-inducing voice with a scowl thrown in for good measure).

The car finally fell quiet.

Silence.

Is.

Golden.

No comments: