Sunday, May 11, 2008

In the MOMent

I know we are supposed to say that Mothers’ Day is no big deal; it’s just a Hallmark holiday. Or that every day should be Mother’s Day. I guess that means you can call me a sucker, because I like it. It’s a rare day that everyone cleans the house, let’s me sleep in, and brings me breakfast in bed. So I’m going to enjoy it, damn it. And you should too.

But really, this day isn’t about me. For me, the best part of this weekend is taking a moment to truly appreciate my kids. After all, without them, I’m not a mother.

Lately I’ve learned that I’m a happier and better mother when I can be in the moment with my kids. All too often I find myself racing from one thing to the next, just trying to get through my day without going cuckoo for cocoa puffs. But when I do that, I end up losing sight of my kids.

This is one of the many simple things I have learned from my children. Live in the now. It’s why our kids are so in love with every new toy or make such a lively squeal when they see cupcakes. It’s all about what’s in front of them at this very moment.

So I say, for today, and any other day you can manage to get it done:

Fret not about being late for every SINGLE thing for the next 18 years and instead take a mental picture of every big smile full of pure love shining through from the heart.

Forget about the tantrums and the whining, and remember the big, soulful eyes with wet eyelashes clumped together that look up at you when they need comforting.

Hold off on the sigh of exasperation when your child asks yet ANOTHER ‘why’ question, and instead be amazed by the accomplishments of the human sponge brain.

Don’t worry about the fact that your child hasn’t had a shred of nutrition in three days and respect the growth that literally happens before your very eyes, whether you want it to or not.

Wait just a few minutes before racing through a bath that is already an hour past bedtime and inspire some giggles that make your heart smile.

And next time you hug your children goodnight, let in the love and appreciation that comes from simply being who you are, not what you do.

Know that this little person standing before you, growing more mature by the minute, is still your sweet newborn baby inside. And recognize that as each day goes by, this child will be farther and farther away from that little baby, moving ever closer to their independent future.

Take time to live in the moment, and bask in their essential need for the unique love, respect, trust and pride that only a Mother can provide.

No comments: