Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Welcome to My Water Cooler

Man, I am so cool. I mean I don't want to toot my own horn, but I was almost a whole month ahead of this wave of attention on "mommy blogging". Sure, sure, there are women out there that have been at this blogging thing for five or six years now. But that's beside the point. This is about me. After all, this is MY blog, right?

Don't know what I'm talking about? Take a look at this
video from The Today Show. But don't forget to come back here afterwards.

It all started for me about a month or two ago when I got an email from one of my best friends. She wanted to cheer me up after a hectic day (in other words, a Wednesday) so she sent me an email about
Heather Armstrong and her blog. What my friend didn't see coming is that she was instantly putting me in touch with hundreds of other women that were also having a hectic day. A hectic mommy day, that is. I really had no idea they were all out there, just a click away.

So now here we are, numbering in the thousands and growing. And we're out here telling everyone about our families, our work, or whatever strikes us that day. And apparently some people don't want these women sharing their personal lives because they feel it will in some way harm the children that are the stars of the show.

But I say if you feel that way, then stop reading. It's a free world and if people want to share their stories with millions of other people, so be it. Will their children hate them later? That's not for us to worry about; leave that to the writers.

The way I see it, what all this "mommy blogging" is really about is a chance for us moms to have a water cooler. If being a mom to our kids meant going to an office, we could connect to a somewhat larger community by sharing stories around the proverbial water cooler. We'd have meetings about topics like "How to Get Your Toddler Out the Door in Under 10 Minutes" and "When is a Wet Diaper Just Too Wet?". We'd let others know that they are not alone, and we'd share all the details about how we could do this job better. Because it is a job. And it's the most important one there is, in my opinion. And let's face it, we're not in June Cleaver's world anymore. This job is tough and we're not afraid to complain about it.


Now we can stand together and laugh at the moments in our lives that might otherwise have us running for the hills. We can share and commiserate and revel in the victories and frustrations of being a mother.

And since I'm doubting that all of these mommy blog fans and readers could fit into any one woman's living room, I say, blog away. Put it out there. Because I like knowing that I am not alone in this experience.

No comments: