Sunday, June 1, 2008

Goose Bumps Schmoose Bumps

This was the second week in a row that I used a Friday morning to have time with just my 3 year old daughter and myself. If we go to our athletic club, I can check in my son at the day care. Then we can swim and hang out, just her and me. Our activities are a little limited to the pool, but that's not too bad if the weather's nice. And the water is always warm.

It’s sad to say that I could have been doing this MUCH sooner, but hey, better a year late than never. And even if it is only one hour, it’s all hers. Which says a lot when you have three young kids (oh, and don’t forget the dog, like I usually do).

Unfortunately my younger daughter hasn’t had a lot of one-on-one time in the last year. She had a lot when she was an infant and her sister was in preschool. And then that whittled down when she turned two and started preschool herself. And then it pretty much turned to dust when we had our third child a year ago.

Plus, I wasn’t going to be caught dead in a swim suit last summer after having a baby in May. No way, no how.

Anyway, back to the pool. We aren’t having the greatest weather around here lately, although I really shouldn’t be complaining. But the mornings are in the 50’s and overcast, which can make for chilly weather for bathing suits.

After we change out of our long sleeves and pants and into our suits, goose bumps start rippling over my limbs and I am beginning to dread this commitment. The joy and fun from last week’s outing are a distant memory and I am thinking that I’d really rather be reading a magazine exercising all by myself with both kids checked in to the day care.

Then I see a fellow mom friend who remarks that I am brave to take my daughter out in this weather and swim with her myself, without a lesson lined up.

As we get to the pool, one of the instructors in the middle of giving a lesson also calls me brave and says she wouldn’t be here if they weren’t paying her.

These comments are not really building the anticipation for me. Now I really don’t want to be swimming. Bless my daughter’s heart, but it’s not personal. I just want to be warm and lazy. And alone. It’s the end of the week and I’m ready to start a weekend of ‘daddy time’.

But I use my own best advice and buck up.

My daughter and I shed our towels and dip our toes in the water. We agree it’s not bad and then gradually enter the pool.


The 85 degrees washes over us and we swim for shelter in the warm water.

Then the giggles begin. And her radiant smile beams as we swim and splash and play.

I get unsolicited nose kisses and lots of hugs. I smile and laugh as I watch her unhindered love and enthusiasm reveal itself on her face.

She sings made up songs and laughs. She laughs so loud I have to actually tell her to try to laugh a little softer because it’s making an echo and might distract one of the other kids getting lessons.


Then we follow that play time up with a hot shower and a snack.

Perfection.

Yes, I remember why I said I would do this.

Because it’s a great way to start your day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too true and too cute! Such a sweet story and reminder. Unfortunately, we are in the midst of packing up toys and putting all the fun stuff away- but the kids are still contented to play with tape and boxes (raises the question, why spend money on toys?) I'm going to Chicago this week [cough ESCAPING cough cough). :)

I'll leave you to guess who this is! xo, anonymous

Anonymous said...

This brought tears to my eyes. So sweet! What a lucky little girlie (& mommy)!