Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's a Princess Life for Me

At bedtime, after we read a couple books to our daughters, we let our oldest have “night-light time”. The 3 year old also gets night-light time, since they share a room, but she has to turn her light off after she looks at one book. My oldest then keeps her light on and reads for about 30 minutes. Or until we tell her time’s up.

Last night, when I went to say good night and give the 5 minute warning for lights-out, I see that my oldest daughter has taking a little creative license with her night-light time.

She has hunted down 15 specific books (which you would know is a project in itself if you have ever seen the book case in their room) and has categorized them.

Leaning against the wall are two Olivia books, three Fancy Nancy books, two books about the color pink, and eight books about princesses.

Not only are they each in their own little themed stack propped up against the wall, but each stack is labeled. There is a note sticking out of the first book in each pile that says their category type and the quantity for that type, all printed in her lovely Kindergarten scratch.

I inquire about her mini library, and she informs me of her project. She tells me she had a couple of them to read, and then she realized there were themes, so she looked and looked until she found the ones that she knew were in these categories.

“We have the most princess books,” she says. “Which is good, because those are my favorite.”

A big smile takes over my face and I kiss her good night.

Huh.

An overly organized, project-driven girl that prefers the princess life.

I have no idea where she gets it.

No comments: