Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Lucky Number Seven

Today is my oldest's birthday.

I cannot believe that 7 years ago today she made me a mother. One day I had a huge belly and only my husband to nag (and Enzo too), and the next day, there she was.

A new beautiful face in the world.

She had absolutely no inclination to come out of the womb on her own and had to be coaxed out (thank you Mr. Pitocin) 11 days after her due date.

And she's still stuck to my side, seven years later. She's definitely a momma's girl. Of course it goes without saying (but I'll say it for you anyway hubby) she adores her daddy too.

As a wee one she was always content and sweet, ready and willing to take on the world, so long as I was by her side. I'm happy to say that not much has changed over the years. She is my confident and strong girl, glad to play on her own and even more pleased to play with friends, both old and new. And so far she still loves having me by her side, for which I am thankful since one day in the not-so-distant future that may end.

Her imagination can put even the most creative of us to shame. She weaves stories that become tall tales. She is never happier than when she's playing make-believe games like "family" or "school". And she almost always has an animal or doll lying around the house that is the chosen one for the day or week, complete with it's own name and the recipient of multiple wardrobe changes, plus meals and naps.

As I have made it known before, she can dream big with the best of them.

She is also my most cautious little one. Always has been. And it's not just about following the rules, which she does to a tee, and ensures that others do so as well, lest they be tattled on. She tends to be afraid of getting hurt or too dirty or wet, whatever it is she might be up against. It made for a long wait before we took off the training wheels this summer, and it has also made branching out to new activities a bit of a challenge. On the other hand, it allowed for a lot of pristine hand-me-downs for her little sister.

She is the original wiggle worm in a family full of wiggly worms. Getting her to stay still for any length of time requires video input and room to stretch her legs. I'm guessing my husband and I have hit the millions for the number of times we have said "sit still with your bottom on the seat and your feet in front of you" at the dinner table.

Being a big sister came very naturally to my daughter. She is a nurturer, cuddler and lover. It is only in recent years that her patience with the younger ones has started to wear thin from time to time, as is to be expected. But she is still sweet to them and only rarely upsets the delicate sibling balance that leans so heavily in her favor. This trait is certainly rooted in her natural leadership abilities; she loves to be in charge with only the occasional bout of bossiness.

Ah, my sweet girl. Full of passion that so often is characterized by smiles, laughter and incessant movement.

My birthday wish for you: may you always move with such freedom, dream with such abandon, and love with such enthusiasm.

No comments: