Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Through and Through

My son never ceases to prove to me that boys are different from girls. From the very beginning he's been louder, more active, and more opinionated.

He's a boy, through and through.

He climbs higher, runs faster and throws more than his sisters ever did. He even pulls hair, so I guess he's ready to sit behind the girl with pigtails in first grade.

His problems come from not moving as fast or as far as he'd like to, which usually leads to a good tumble. Quite a few times I've had strangers gasp as they see him take a fall right on his belly after a mad dash for something. As I watch him I hardly even move, which gets mixed reactions from said strangers, but my boy proves me right as he'll just get up and keep on running to his target, no looking back.

But don't get me wrong. He can cry with the best of them. Usually that's how I know if there is blood involved. He's cut his lip or mouth more times than I can count at this point. And his faceplants over just the last few days have led to no less than 3 nose bleeds. During which he'll scream at the top of his lungs until I distract him with something else. Only then will I be able to clean up the blood dripping down his face.

The funny thing is, compared to the girls, he's my pickiest eater. I don't know how that happened other than the fact that I probably gave in to his demands since he was so loud in making his opinions heard. That, and the fact that I didn't take the time necessary to make him "like" all kinds of foods. It was easier to just keep shoving the same thing I knew he liked into his mouth; all the better to keep him quiet.

Like a lot of his brethren, he'll whine and whimper for food or something to drink until he gets what he wants. Then after he's gorged himself he'll give a big smile and get down to go play. It's one of the few times during the day when he's happy to just go off and explore all on his own, content with even the simplest of toys. I guess it's true what they say about the way to a man's heart is through his belly.

There is one other time during the day when he's happy to go play by himself; it comes along with a strong foul odor. It never fails that just as I'm thinking "boy, he's been off playing nicely by himself for a while now," he'll wander back in to say hi and the stinkies are not far behind. Pun intended.

Like a lot of men I have known in my lifetime, he's happiest after a good meal or a good poop. Better yet, both.

Yup. He's a boy through and through.

No comments: