Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Buried Alive

Do you ever feel like you are slowly being buried in a pile of crumbs, wrappers, and crap that says "Made in China" on the bottom?

What? You don't? Well, lucky you, because I do. At least 13 out of every 14 days that is.

My house cleaners came yesterday and the second I walked in a did what I always do. I stopped and looked around. And I admired. Ah, a clean house. It only happens once every 2 weeks, so I always stop for a few minutes and just smell the cleanliness.

And then I proceed to fool myself into thinking that I can maintain it for a while. For the rest of that day, every time the sink gets dirty, or food drops on the floor, I immediately clean it up. I'll even get out the dust buster just to make sure that the popcorn on the floor is banished from my site. On house cleaning day, I just want the house to stay clean. Is that too much to ask?

Of course last night's dinner involved some grated cheese, which always seems to attract my children like ants on honey. Now don't get me started on the ant problems we are having lately, because that's a whole other picnic my friends.

So those little grubby hands reach up on to the counter, grab grated cheese and shove it into eagerly awaiting mouths. With no thought to the fact that it's getting all over my spanking clean kitchen floor.

It's just all downhill after Monday cleaning day. I get to enjoy the clean house for that one day, and that's all she wrote.

Within one hour of all three of my kids being home this afternoon the playroom looks like it just survived a tornado. They have moved the couch into the middle of the room, with pillows and blankets strewn around it. Then my son has decided to get out all the pieces to four different games, none of which are being played at the time, and he adds his decorative touches the mess. There are game boards and dice, Zingo cards and pawns, not to mention the Uno cards, all scattered about, making it look like...well, you get the idea.

I started to clean it all up and then I just threw my hands in the air. Lately I just don't have the time to clean up as I would like, and frankly I don't have the time to care as much about it either. Which is nice. A bit of a refreshing change in my life. It's teaching me to let go a little.

But I really don't want to let go of cleaning day. Just that one day.

Every two weeks.

Cleanliness and order.

In an otherwise chaotic life.

1 comment:

Uncle Mark said...

We have the same situation, every 2 weeks we have our house cleaner come and make it all good. As is more often the case, Josefa is usually out of town and it pains her not to be able to come home to a perfectly clean home. So we know how you feel. Oh, but without the kidlets ;)