Monday, October 12, 2009

Quotables

Here are some amazing quotes from my younger daughter in the past couple of weeks. I'm not kidding when I say that they were so funny and they were coming so often, that I started writing them down so I could save them in a blog post. And this is coming from the girl that doesn't offer too many words to the public. So today I'll speak on her behalf.

While in the car driving home from the library, talking about nothing in particular.
"We have the best family in the whole world."

Again, while in the car. Again, while talking about nothing in particular, certainly not baby-making.
HER: Where do babies come from?
ME: Inside your tummy.
HER: How do they get in there?
ME: They start out reeeaaallly small, and then they grow bigger.
[This is the same thing I told her sister and it seemed to end the conversation. Not so much this time.]
HER: But how do they get inside your tummy?
ME: Well they are in there and they are really really tiny.
HER: As small as a crumb?
ME: Yes, as small as a crumb. Even smaller.
HER: But how does the crumb get in there?
[Strike two.]
ME: It happens when a mommy and daddy are in love and it comes from their love. And it's really tiny. How small do you think it is?
HER: Like a crumb!
Then I divert her to something else.

One day we were in the kitchen and I was cleaning up some papers and art projects that came home from school with the kids. These same things that seem to accumulate on a massive level every day, let alone every week.
HER: What do you do with all the stuff that I bring home from school?
ME: Some of it I save, and the rest of it I recycle.
HER: You mean you throw away the stuff?
ME: Yes, but just some of it.
HER: Well whoever's mom would do a thing like that?
That'd be your mom, I'm afraid.

Another day we were...you guessed it...in the car. My younger daughter was talking about picking up her sister from school, and all the carpooling we do to and from school and soccer practice.
HER: It's a good thing we have so many booster seats. Cuz you have to have those for the kids in the car. If we didn't, mommy would get a ticket.
ME: That's right. You always have to be safe and make sure everyone uses a booster seat if they aren't big enough to ride without one yet.
HER: Yup. Cuz if you got a ticket then you and daddy would have to clean up the streets.
Good thing we have those booster seats because neon orange has never been one of my colors.

When I was trying to fix her bothersome cheap dresser from IKEA, I was pounding away at the side of it trying to make sure it would stay together. She came up to me and said one heck of a stunner.
HER: Daddy should do that.
ME: Why? I can fix things too.
HER: Yeah, but you're the pretty one.
ME (after regaining my composure): Well thank you for the compliment, but just because I'm pretty doesn't mean I can't fix things.
HER: Oh.
I'm not sure that one really stuck with her, but we'll have to reiterate that point again soon. Really, where did she come up with that? How is it that she assumed it is an either/or situation? I think we need to start a show called "Barbara the Builder".

And finally, one other time....in the car. Do you get the idea that we do a lot of driving around?

HER: Mommy how do they build cars?
ME: Well they start with something called an axle. And they connect wheels to it. And they make two of them for every car, they are called a rear axle and a front axle, one for the rear wheels in the back and the front wheels in the front of the car. Then those parts are connected with something called a chassis, which holds all the parts of the car in.
HER: Just like skin! Our skin holds all the parts of our body in!

Yes, our skin holds all of our parts in.

Including that amazing little noggin of yours.

1 comment:

AJ said...

I love this, Jess! Laughing out loud. I can't wait for Fin to start talking! I'll be coming to you for advice on the hard questions...