Wednesday, September 17, 2008

More Oysters

As my younger daughter and son were playing around on the kitchen dining chairs, my daughter calls my son "little mister". I think she often hears me call him "mister", so she has adopted the nickname as well.

Which is better than "missy", which she was calling him a few weeks ago. Again, it's what I call her, so she was just using the same term of endearment with him. Until I helped her see the difference. Now we are a bit more gender-appropriate in the household.

She points out this fact by saying "Mom, I called him 'mister'!" and I say "Yup, you did - and you are a 'missy'."

She says "Yes I am! And he's a boy, so he's mister." Then she follows it up with "Boys can climb on chairs."

"Yes, and girls can too," I say.

"Yes. And boys can jump up and down. And so can girls," she says with enthusiasm, jumping up and down to emphasize her point.

"You're right!" I say.

"And boys can run, and so can girls," she says excitedly as she starts to run around.

At this point my oldest daughter pipes in and confidently says what we all saw coming.

"Anyone can do anything they want," she says satisfactorily.

"Well stated," I say with a big smile.

And then my rule-abiding, direction-following oldest child follows it up with "But kids have to ask their parents first."

"Right again, my dear," I say.

So many pearls of wisdom from someone who has the world as her oyster .

No comments: