Sunday, September 14, 2008

Birthday Girl

Today I am 38 years old. And it's been a lovely day.

I had a luxurious breakfast in bed, followed by a little playtime with my kids.

Then I got a little exercise and went out to lunch with friends.

I came home and had some quiet time reading my book.

I followed that up by getting my hair and nails done.

Then I went on a lovely walk at sunset.

Upon returning home I was served a home-cooked meal followed by birthday cake and presents.

All in all, a perfect day.

Fine Print Translation:
My kids and I had breakfast in bed, served by my already exhausted husband (mental note: change the sheets before bedtime). Then my daughters and I tried to find a game we could play without my son stepping on, chewing on, or throwing any pieces; no luck. After that it was time for a birthday party, but not mine. We went to my dear friends' daughter's birthday party at a place I affectionately refer to as Playland on steroids. My younger daughter was a little too intimidated to play with the kids she didn't know, and since her big sister wasn't waiting up for her, I became her playmate. I talked her into what turned out to be a terrifying slide that felt like a runaway train. Another round of saltworks began, to be consoled only by a tickle-fest this time. We then had pizza and birthday cake for lunch before playing a few video games, and returning home rather spent. At that point I tried to sneak away for some quiet time in my bedroom to read my book. I made it through about 7 pages when my younger daughter found me and decided it was time to give me a manicure. She had a very wet spongey paintbrush which she used to "paint" my toenails and finger nails. Then she decided to do my hair with it as well, and even got out the spray-on conditioner, a FULL cup of water, and a comb. It was just like being at the salon. Then I motivated a rather unwilling crowd for a walk around the neighborhood with three-generations and two canines. We came home and I helped my mom get dinner on the table while my husband guided the kids in frosting a cake. After dinner I made a wish and we blew out the candles on my cake. But the Au Pair never showed up.


Happy birthday to me.


More Fine Print: A special shout out to my twin sister. Best birthday wishes to her as well, which goes without saying in our family. Love you tons, sis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out!! And happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

I love you tons too sis! Miss you...