Saturday, February 21, 2009

Feel the Love

My son is finally able to say what seems like hundreds of words.  

Of course that doesn't stop him from his signature screams, but they do seem to be reverberating a little less often lately.

And now, as of a week ago, he can spontaneously put two words together as well.  I should preface this with the fact that he has often said something similar to "I want" before a word, but it sounded more like "eewa" and he would sort of run it right into the word it was in front of, making it sound like one long word; "eewamilt".  And he sort of lilts his voice in there to make everything sound a bit like a Native American Indian tribal name.  Nonetheless, that could probably be considered the beginnings of his verbal sayings.  

But it wasn't nearly as sweet as the spontaneous one that popped up a little while later. 

It was about a week ago when we were all in the car on our way home from a weekend outing.  I handed him a lollipop, as per his request after we had picked out some treats at the store.  Then I turned around and said "Can you say 'thank you'?"  He hadn't said it yet, but I figured if nothing else, a lollipop sure would warrant it.

And he said "tay koo mama."  

I tell you, it made my heart melt and my eyes tear.  My little guy not only finally said "thank you", but he put the "mama" on there, just to remind me how smart and lovable he is.  

Then a day or two later he added on to his new tricks.  My husband was leaving for work and I asked him "can you say bye-bye?" 

And he said "bye bye dada."

We always have to let Dad know that he isn't forgotten.

Then the next phrase came a day after that, true to his little red monster-loving ways, I was getting him cereal for breakfast and he said "elmo poon," requesting his new favorite utensil.  

Now Elmo can feel as loved as mom and dad.

But wait.  The love doesn't stop there.  I have to add in a couple more cute stories.  Just because I love my kids that much.  And apparently they feel the same way about me.

The other day, in the middle of a rather ordinary afternoon while we were doing not very much at all, my oldest daughter looked up at me and said "have I ever told you how lucky I am to have you as my mom?" 

What?  Does it get any better?  

Why yes, it does.  She then wrapped her sweet little arms around my middle for a big hug just to hit it all home.  So then I knelt down and gave her a super big hug.

But it doesn't stop there.  Then my younger daughter came up to us and said "I love you too" and joined in on the hug.  

I know what you are thinking.  How could it get any better?  But there's more.  

Not to be outdone, my son then joined the big hug, and soon we were all covered in ooey gooey love all over.

PURE BLISS.  

Those are the moments in my life as a mother that make it all worthwhile.  The seven years of diapers, restless nights, scraped knees, and plentiful bodily fluids and wastes.  The thankless hours of laundry, driving to school, grocery shopping, clothes shopping, picking up from school, shoe buying, driving to activities, snack and lunch making, driving to more activities, and shoe returning.  And then driving home.

Like they say in golf, you live for the game because of that once in a while great shot.  That one long drive that sails straight to the green and sets itself up for the perfect putt.  All those other lousy shots are worthwhile because of how great it feels when you hit "the one".  In fact, I think you could say that about a lot of things in life.

Now I will close out this lovefest with some more sticky oozing sweetness for your reading pleasure.  (I guess it's appropriate that we are still in the shadows of Valentine's Day.)

Today I was carrying my son up the stairs and I said "can you say I love you?"

And he said "I lev ew mama."  

You gotta love those hole-in-ones.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Jessica. All I can say as someone who fears having children for all the complicated logistics you listed, the group hug/love fest pretty much erases that all, doesn't it!? Your blog keeps me constantly aware of just how hard, but worth it, parenting can be! Barely a blog goes by that I'm not tearing up reading your lovely reflections.

Sara Johnson

Anonymous said...

Sis, your writings are outstanding, this one especially brings a tear to an uncle's eye. Please keep it up, as it makes the long miles between us seem shorter.

I'm very proud of you and Michele, you two are the greatest moms any kids could ask for (and great sisters too).

Jessica said...

Now I'm the one with tears in my eyes. Thanks big bro. We are sending you lots of ooey gooey love.

Mich said...

Ok, I'm definitely delayed in reading this one, but I had to post a comment. And then I see Uncle Mark's comments! Tears are welling up all over this country! Those sweet moments are entirely what motherhood is about. Thanks for the props, Uncle Marky Mark!