Thursday, November 6, 2008

Playground Trash Talk

It happened again.

Last night my oldest is in the bathtub and she is babbling away with some imaginary friend or something of that nature, and she says "the F word."

She says it just like that. "The F word." As if it was a tag on to some sentence she just uttered.

My husband is walking past the tub right at that moment and I'm on the computer with my back to them. I instantly turn around with huge eyes and a bit of a smirk on my face.

We give each other a quick look that says "now what?".

Just as he's trying to make a quick getaway she asks "What's the F word mean?"

You'll notice she didn't say "what is" the F word, which would mean that she thinks this mystery is all wrapped up in those exact three words. Not in the one actual word that starts with the letter F.

My husband fields the question with another question.

"Where did you hear that?" he asks. Like a pro, that man of mine.

"Some kids at the playground were talking about it. I don't know what it is but I think it's something bad," she says.

And then she just keeps on playing in the tub and sort of changes the subject herself.

We know when to leave well enough alone and not provide any information, especially when none is being pursued.

If only those trash talkin' kids on the playground would do the same.

Until next time.

No comments: