Saturday, July 5, 2008

My Son Spot

Recently I have been compelled by the behavioral similarities of my son and my dog. I know this sounds a little insulting to my son, but you should know that we do have a really great dog. He’s a bit long in the tooth, but nonetheless my son should be honored by the comparison.

Still not convinced I should compare them? Okay, let’s look at the facts.

First the basics; they both love to eat dog food. Enough said.

Along those lines, they will both eat anything off the floor, although our dog tends to stick to just food morsels. My son is non-discriminatory when it comes to floor items.

From time to time I find a chewed up rubber end from a door stop and I'm not sure if it was my son who left it behind, or if my mom was over with her puppy. Both have been culprits of this crime.

My son and my dog love a full bowl of water; although my son is more in favor or wearing it than drinking it.

They are both inclined to curl up on a comfy dog bed from time to time.

Sleep is a very large part of their days; about 15 or 16 hours every day, to be exact.

When they give you kisses, they both use a lot of tongue.

My son and my dog are working in tandem when it comes to the highchair. The one with opposable thumbs drops all the food on the ground for his pal. Then he proceeds to get his hands licked clean and look like a nice, neat, little clean-plater to mom and dad.

Both of them love to chase balls. Especially tennis balls. This was never more evident than the other day when I had my kids at the pool. My son was in my arms and he was grunting and reaching for something behind me, his sign language for “yo mom, pay attention, can’t you see I want something?”

I turn around and see a man and his kids throwing a tennis ball back and forth from one end of the pool to the other. My son is watching it go back and forth and uttering his pleas of necessity that this ball must become his own prize possession. I think he was even drooling, which only further hits my point home.

In my opinion the phrase “it’s a dog’s life” needs to be re-thought.

Lots of sleep, hand-fed meals and bouncing balls.

It sounds like a nice life to me.

No comments: