Monday, May 10, 2010

Simple Folks

This year for Mother's Day we kept it pretty simple. Well by "we" I mean my husband. And let me just say that simple does suit me just fine.

I know, I know. I dropped the subtle hints here and there that I easily could have slipped out for a massage appointment had he booked one for me. But really, in the end, that spa appointment is not what makes a great day.

And neither is a day free of chores, for that matter. I admit that I spent too much time yesterday checking things off my list. But that's one of the things that makes me happy. Getting things done that have been bugging me or haunting me every time I walk past a certain closet or part of the house. So while I may complain about having to do so much around the house, in the end, a choreless day is not necessarily what makes a great day either.

What does make a great day is spending some time with my family.

About halfway through the morning I decided that I would bring my mother the flowers I had for her and stop over for a little chat. I treated myself to a latte and had a very nice time just shooting the breeze with my mom. Who, after all, also deserves a lovely mother's day visit from her daughter.

Then in the afternoon we all went bowling. Our first family trip to the local alley, and let me tell you, we will become regulars there before you know it. What fun! There just aren't too many activities you can do with three kids, ages 3, 5 and 8, that you all participate in and you all have so much fun doing. And that doesn't involve a TV screen.

We all had a great time, and my oldest daughter was such a great sport. She had the lowest score the whole time because she was the youngest child actually bowling. My other two kids were using the little ramp so they had a bit of an advantage. And I explained this phenomenon to her when she complained about her score.

Of course, it doesn't really need to be stated that we had the gutter guards up the whole time, and let's just say they came in a little handy for all of us at one time or another.

And even though she fretted that she had such a low score, she really had a great attitude. No whining or worrying. She just uttered her complaints here and there, but always had a smile on her face. I explained to her that she was only going to keep getting better now that she was actually bowling on her own.

Then we all went out for burgers and milkshakes afterward.

It was just like an episode of The Simpsons.

Although I have to say the best moment of the day was when I put my son to bed for his nap. I rocked him until he was asleep, and then I just cuddled with him. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to do that much longer. Holding him in my arms and rocking with him was just absolute bliss. I watched his sweet little sleeping face and listened to his precious breathing. I didn't want to let go.

And that moment was further trumped by him today. After his nap he is quite snuggly and wants to be held for a little bit. So we were cuddled up on the coach with a little Dora on for company, and he started lying down. He was splayed across my lap in sort of an awkward position, so I asked him if wanted to sit back up. He proceeded to pull himself up and snuggle right up into my arms and chest.

I hugged him hard, kissed his head, and said "you're the best!".

He then looked up at me with his sweet baby blues and a delicious smile and said "no, you are!"

Now that is when I really feel like a mother.

It's the simple things in life that make me happiest.

Three beautiful, healthy, and happy children and a life full of love and fun.

It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments: